Home automation can be anything from scheduling your lights to turn on at a certain hour, having your thermostat adjust on its own, receiving notification from your security system, as well as much more.
There is an increasing number of ways to implement home automation, and each of them provides their own set of specific benefits.
Also, keep in mind that you can enjoy multiple benefits from single home automation initiatives. Smart thermostats, for example, can give you peace of mind while simplifying your life, all while saving you money.
Below is the ultimate guide for understanding the benefits that come with smart homes and home automation.
Benefits of Home Automation (Contents)
(5) Peace of Mind
1. Save Time & Money With Home Automation
Setting up home automation systems can save you both time and money. While some systems do require a little upfront time to setup, they can be very easy to implement (even for the non-technical type of people), and save you time and hassle in the long run.
Having a connected home allows you to focus on other, more important, tasks because you no longer need to interact with the systems throughout your house.
One of the main ways home automation can help save money is through the use of smart bulbs. Smart bulbs connect to your home’s WiFi and can be controlled and scheduled via a smartphone or central hub.
Moreover, you can setup your lights to turn on/off when you come and go, this is based off the location services which is built into your smartphone. This is just one example that ensures you never leave the lights on while you are away for the day.
Below are a few additional resources for learning more about the benefit of saving timing and money through home automation.
- Smart Bulbs Save Consumers Energy and Money
- Lighting the Way to Serious Savings
- Discover How You Can Save Money with Home Automation
- How to drastically reduce your energy costs using home automation
2. Simplify Your Life Through Automation
Another major benefit of home automation is simplification. For example, having a programmable thermostat eliminates needless heating/cooling of your home. You can set it and forget it.
Smart thermostats learn your schedule and update accordingly, thus allowing you to focus on other things, rather than wondering if you remembered to turn the heat off when you left for work.
Below are additional resources for learning how home automation can simplify your daily life.
- Top 10 Ways a Smart Home Can Simplify Your Life
- 6 Ways Home Automation Tools Can Make Your Life Easier
- Simplify Your Life with Home Automation
- 5 Ways That Home Automation Can Simplify Your Life
3. Control From Anywhere in the World
Having the ability to control your home from anywhere in the world is another major benefits of home automation systems.
Life happens which sometimes causes us to rush out of the house without remembering to turn off the lights, heat, etc. Home automation can eliminate this problem thanks to the ability to control your home remotely.
Most smart home devices allow you to control them from anywhere. Whether you are checking your security camera while on vacation or turning on your air conditioning on your drive home, home automation gives you the flexibility to manage all aspects of your home from your smartphone.
Below are additional resources to learn more remote operability.
- Meet Riley, The Home Security Robot You Control With Your Phone
- 10 Ways to Utilize Your Smartphone to Control Your Home
- How to Control Your Home with your Cell Phone
- Voice Command Your Home from Anywhere in the World
- Monitor Your Home From Anywhere
4. Home Automation Can Increase Your Home’s Value
A lot of new houses being built contain smart home technologies from the start. However, any home that has implemented smart technologies has the potential to retrieve a higher value as a result.
It is clear that home automation technologies provide many benefits to the homeowner. These benefits can be transferred from owner to owner, thus increasing the overall value of the property.
You will find some additional resources regarding increasing your home’s value through home automation below.
- Home Automation Systems Can Boost Market Value
- If I Sell My House, What Value Does a Smart Home System Add?
- Exzel Smart Home: Smart Home Control
- Home Automation Evaluation: Will Automating Your Home Increase Its Value?
5. Home Automation Creates Peace of Mind
Home automation can also help create peace of mind. Whether you are away on vacation, or simply at the grocery store, it is comforting to know that your doors are locked, lights are off, and your house is secure.
To learn more about how home automation can increase your overall peace of mind, please check out the additional resources below.
- Peace of Mind with a Smart, Connected Home
- How a Smart Thermostat Gives You Peace of Mind
- How to Create Peace of Mind in Your Home
6. Home Automation Improves Household Efficiency
Efficiency is an extremely important benefit of home automation systems.
The concept is simple: use just as much as you need.
There are many ways to improve your home’s efficiency. Smart thermostats, lights, and motion sensors are just a few examples.
Adding ‘brains’ into your already existing products increases the overall performance.
Moreover, having lights that go on and off depending on your schedule or which room you are in, or a thermostat that automatically shuts off when you are away is a perfect example of using just as much (energy in this case) as you need.
Here are some additional resources on how to increase your home’s efficiency through automation.
- Top 10 Home Energy Efficiency Tips
- Why Home Automation is Essential for Energy Efficiency
- Want to Go Green? Automate your Home!
- Save Energy the Smart Home Way
7. Increased Security Around Your Home
Security is one of the main, and most important, benefits of home automation.
Home security is important for many reasons including your family’s safety, protection of your valuables, and overall peace of mind (benefit #5).
Below are a few additional resources for realizing the benefit of security through home automation.
- The Best Home Security Cameras
- 12 Easy Ways to Improve Your Home’s Security
- Consumer Reports: Ways to Improve Home Security